Have you adapted to changing B2B buying behaviour?

B2B buying behaviour in the digital age

How B2B buyers procure technology and professional services has evolved. With the information readily available at the click of a button, buyers now research their needs extensively online before ever engaging a solution provider. The traditional hard-sell approach of outbound sales and marketing doesn’t work anymore. As a business, you need to adapt to this changing B2B buying behaviour and engage with your buyer at various digital touch points to stay relevant to them.

Research also suggests that B2B buyers are using online search to seek answers to their key questions.

  • According to a Forrester report, 68% of B2B buyers prefer to research independently online.
  • According to a Demand Gen report, B2B buyers today progress more than 70% of the way through the decision-making process before ever engaging a sales representative.

changing B2B buying behaviourThere are many other research reports on changing buying behaviours and they all lead to similar conclusions; your buyers are now using digital channels to research their questions/ issues and to identify potential solutions. They believe in “Googling” answers to their questions and using social media/ online forums to get other people’s views on similar issues. They reach out to their online professional networks (LinkedIn) to get their friends, peers and colleagues’ opinions. All this research takes place in the background before your potential buyer ever reaches out to you or searches for your brand.

How should you adapt to changing buying behaviour?

Your approach to engaging with your buyers needs to evolve. As a brand, you should be in front of your potential buyer in their initial research phase, addressing their needs, discussing their issues and answering their key questions. That is where 70% of the buying progress is made. There’s no point in preparing for the remaining 30% if you won’t be considered as a thought leader who understands your buyer’s needs in the first place.

You should focus on:

  1. Developing and tailoring your messaging around your buyer’s needs, not focusing on your solutions.
  2. Creating good quality, educational content that addresses your buyer’s issues and answers their key questions.
  3. Showcasing examples of businesses with similar problems and the approach they took for resolving it, i.e. case studies.
  4. Ensuring that your educational content (blogs, white papers, case studies, videos, etc.) appears in the search results when your potential buyer is searching for answers to their questions i.e. SEO/ content marketing.

In summary, this requires multi-channel inbound lead generation.

The logic says, “If you can understand my needs, you will be capable of helping me address them”, without having to hard sell your solution/ service to me.

The quicker you align your business with the changing B2B buying behaviour, the quicker you’ll be able to realise the growth in your business. You’ll witness an increase in high-quality inbound leads and better engagement with your buyers.

Talk to one of our Inbound Lead Generation experts to discuss how we can position you as a thought leader and deliver high-quality inbound leads for your business.